Our microwave died a few days ago, and this morning I finally had time to take a look at it. Since we have a built-in GE Profile microwave, we would not only have to buy a new $300-$400 replacement unit, BUT a new trim kit. Wanna know why? Because with each new model, GE changes the screw placement holes on the mounting units by a just few millimeters. This ensures that the old trim kits won’t line up properly, thereby forcing you to spend an additional $200 on the corresponding trim kit. What a racket, huh?
Now, I’m not an electrical engineer, so the odds that I’d know what the heck was wrong with our microwave were very slim. But my ole’ friend, Google, gave me hope that it may be a simple fix.
I got out my handy-dandy Phillips screwdriver (it’s a mom’s best friend) and proceeded to removed the back panel of the microwave.
I discovered I could easily access the fuse, so I then made a quick trip to Radio Shack, where I picked up a 4-pack of 250V Ceramic Fuses for just $3.49. When I got home, I simply pulled out the blown fuse, replaced it with a new one and…..voila….we had a working microwave!
So, the next time you have a dead appliance and before you rush to call a repairman or to replace it, go online and do some research. It might keep a lot of dollars in your pocket!