I’m not super-crafty. And not because I can’t. I just don’t want to drag out all the materials, take the time to instruct my kids, then clean up the mess when they become disinterested within three minutes.
But I think these DIY Halloween Mummy Jars might meet two of my craft requirements: cheap and easy. (That’s how I like my men, too. Don’t tell my husband!)
- Glass canning jars
- Paint Brush
- Medical gauze
- Mod Podge or other crafting glue
- Googly eyes
1. Pick a jar: Choose something like a pickle or baby food jar. Wash and dry it well, being sure to remove any outside labels.
2. Coat the surface: Use a paintbrush to apply a thin layer of mod podge or other crafting glue to the outside of the jar.
3. Wrap it up: Begin to wrap gauze starting at the bottom and working up. Add more mod podge between layered strips (make sure each layer is over lapping). You can stop wrapping when you reach the top of the jar, or continue wrapping until your satisfied. The amount of light shining through the jar will depend on how much you wrap it.
4. Seal it: Apply another coat of mod podge over the entire surface (targeting areas where the gauze overlaps) to make sure everything is stuck down.
5. Add googly eyes: For a final touch, use a little more mod podge to stick on a set of googly eyes. You can use different sizes, shapes, and colors for each Mummy Jar.
Thanks and photo credit to Crafts reDesigned!